The benefits of a car wheel wash. How a wheel wash works
Before balancing or replacing tyres, the wheels should be thoroughly cleaned and washed. This is a mandatory procedure that affects the quality of service and the “life” of the machines. However, cleaning is time-consuming, especially when there is a greater influx of customers (spring and autumn). A wheel washer can help to automate the process and increase the efficiency of the workshop.
What is a wheel wash?
This is special equipment used to clean dirt and dust from wheels. The enclosed unit is equipped with a heating element and a motor that allows the cleaning process to be automated. The operator only needs to place the wheel on a special platform and start the machine.
The size of the machine determines the size of wheels that can be serviced. For a small tyre fitting shop or a medium-sized garage, a normal tyre cleaner capable of cleaning tyres with a diameter of 560-800mm and a width of 135-305mm will be adequate.
What you need a car wash for?
The income of a tyre workshop or car service depends on the number of services provided. Tyre washing not only makes it easier to prepare the wheels for balancing, but also earns good money. Tyre cleaning is in high demand – especially in the autumn and spring.
The equipment offers an opportunity to:
- Expand your range of services and increase your income.
- Reduce wear and tear on balancers and tyre changers. Keeps dirt out of the gears and increases service life.
- Reduce water consumption. The closed loop system means that the water can be used several times.
- Increased precision in balancing.
- The machine will help to relieve the workmen and increase the productivity of the workshop.
How the equipment works?
All car wheel washers operate according to the same principle. Cleaning is carried out in several stages:
- The wheel is placed in the washing compartment. The installation can be carried out manually or hydraulically. The second option is used in equipment designed for cleaning the wheels of bulky equipment.
- The tyre is locked in place. Vertical supports are used to hold the wheel.
- The tyre is cleaned. The machine rotates the wheel and sprays warm water through nozzles.
- The soft granules and the water jets remove the dust and dirt.
- The waste solution is collected in a pan.
- The wheel is dried with air.
- The granulate is washed and the dirt is removed.
The quality of cleaning depends on the water pressure, quantity of granulate and washing concentrate. Cleaning one tyre takes 20, 40 or 60 seconds, depending on the selected mode. Washing a truck wheel takes 60 to 240 seconds. Drying takes 15-30 seconds, depending on tyre size.
Advantages and installation features?
An automatic wheel washer not only improves the quality of cleaning, it also saves the craftsman time. There are also a number of other benefits to the machine:
- The soft granules used by the machine do not damage the rim coating or the rubber.
- The closed circuit reduces fluid consumption. Used water is cleaned and can be reused.
- Washing is done in seconds. Depending on the selected mode, the cycle takes anywhere from 20 to 60 seconds. This considerably increases the capacity of the workshop, especially in season (autumn and spring).
- The process is fully automatic and does not require any operator intervention. The operator only has to load the wheel, select the mode and start the machine.
- Cleaning is carried out without the use of chemicals. The lack of additional agents increases the service life of the rubber and reduces costs at the workshop.
- Quality cleaning protects the machines from damage. Dirt and dust are prevented from entering the machine.
- Washing increases balancing accuracy.
The machine boosts your income and extends your repair shop’s range of services.
A wheel washer is an efficient but expensive machine. The cheapest machine costs about $5,000. Considering the cost, it is not profitable to use a wheel washer in a small tire shop.
Where best to install the equipment?
A few recommendations must be followed to ensure the correct and efficient operation of the washer-dryer:
- Only install the equipment on a level surface. The truck wheel washer should only be placed on a metal trestle.
- The premises must have a suitable power supply (380 V). The power of the car wash motor is 6 kW and the power of the truck wash motor is 8.5 kW.
- The unit must be located close to the drainage system.
- A rubber mat should be placed in front of the sink.
- The compact equipment can be installed even in a small car workshop, it is only important to follow the recommendations.