How to clean carpets in the car: the secrets of easy cleaning
Clean mats in the car do not affect the serviceability of the car and safety on the road. But the fact that it is much more pleasant to ride in a clean cabin is a fact. You don’t have to go to a car wash to do this. It is enough to clean the cabin, throwing out everything unnecessary from it, wipe the dust and clean the rugs.
How to wash rubber mats in the car and how to dry them
Rubber mats are much easier to clean than other materials: the dirt does not absorb into the rubber, but remains on the surface. Another thing is that you will have to wash such a rug often, since the dirt on it immediately becomes visible.
Remove the rubber mat from the passenger compartment and shake off debris from the surface. Use a brush or sponge to apply a cleaning soap and then rinse with plenty of water. You can simply wash the rug under water. Only water should in no case be hot: rubber can be deformed from high temperature.
Hang the mats vertically and let the water drain. Or dry with microfiber – it absorbs moisture well.
Tip: in winter, it is better not to wash rubber mats in the cold – the material becomes brittle and the mat may crack.
How to wash pile mats in the car – 3 ways
With pile rugs (made of carpet) you will have to work hard, but cleaning them is not so difficult.
Dry cleaning with car chemicals
First, vacuum your carpets to remove dust and debris. Then pour a special cleaning powder on the surface and spread it evenly with a brush. Leave for at least 3 hours, and then collect the dirty powder with a vacuum cleaner.
We immediately warn you: for a long pile, such cleaning is not suitable: the rug will lose color, and you can damage the antibacterial protective film on it.
If the pile is short, then you can use any carpet cleaner, washing powder and soap for cleaning. Dilute the product in warm water. Apply foam to the mat and scrub well. Remove dirty foam from the mat with a clean brush.
If you have a washing vacuum cleaner – great! There is nothing easier than cleaning the carpet rug with such a vacuum cleaner. Use a special carpet shampoo for cleaning.
Cleaning with improvised means
It happens that there is no vacuum cleaner or car chemicals, but it is necessary to clean the floor mats in the car. See what you have at hand. You may not do a general cleaning, but stains can be removed.
- Citric acid – removes stains from wine or juice. Blot the stain with a tissue and sprinkle with acid. Leave on for 20 minutes and then wipe with a damp cloth.
- Mineral water – removes stains from coffee and other drinks. Pour a little water on the stain, and then blot with a napkin. If the stain is old, you can first moisten it with mineral water, and then apply window cleaner. Leave for a few minutes and then wipe with a damp cloth.
- Baking soda is also good for removing stains. Sprinkle the stain with soda, rubbing it in, and after 20 minutes remove the soda with a napkin.
- Flour – get rid of greasy stains. You need to pour flour on the stain, and the fat will be absorbed into it. Then remove the flour. If the fat is old, then first apply a mixture of water and salt to the stain – it will dissolve the fat, and then sprinkle with flour.
- Vinegar – well eliminates pollution. Dilute it with water in a ratio of 1:5, and wipe the carpet with a damp cloth. Then wipe again with a cloth and water.
- Ice – will help remove chewing gum. It must be frozen with an ice cube, and the chewing gum will be removed from the surface.
Tip: if pile mats can be removed before cleaning, then it is better to do just that – remove, wash (but not in a washing machine), and dry. If you want to clean the carpet without removing it, then do not overdo it with water. Water must not be allowed to seep through the carpet to the bottom, as this can cause bottom rotting or corrosion.
How to clean textile mats in the car – dry and wet cleaning
Textile rugs can also be cleaned in two ways:
Walk on a textile rug with a regular vacuum cleaner – it will remove dirt and lift the villi. But you should not knock out rugs from textiles: you can damage the material.
Also, textile rugs can be cleaned with plain water or use any cleaning agent, washing powder or soap.
Dilute the product in warm water, apply to the mat and scrub well. Rinse with water afterwards or remove dirty foam from the mat with a clean brush.
Tip: if you clean under the pressure of water, then make sure that it is not very strong – you can damage the fibers of the fabric.
Remember that textiles cannot be twisted. After you’ve cleaned your rug, hang it upright to dry.
EVA car mat cleaning
EVA floor mats are car mats with cells that collect all the debris and dirt. On the one hand, they are more difficult to clean, but on the other hand, such rugs are much more practical than the others, because they do not let dust or water through.
The first tip when cleaning the EVA mat: pull it out of the passenger compartment as carefully as possible so as not to turn it over. Pulled out? Great – now give it a good shake.
Then everything is according to the well-known scenario: apply detergent, rub and rinse with water using a sponge or microfiber. It is very convenient to clean such rugs under a strong stream of water – it washes everything and everything out of them.
EVA mats can not be dried, but immediately put back into the cabin, but make sure that the bottom of the mat is dry.